Its My birthday today! Do I care if you remember?

I had the biggest realization today! But let me tell you my state before the realization... The one fact that always bugged me was people forget my Birthday! Trust me.. it sounds petty, but it caused a lot of heartache to me that people don't remember my birthday, wish me and celebrate it! How I wished every year that people remember my birthday, plan out a surprise and wish me.. but never.. At work.. people are so busy with work that they hardly remember taking breaks, forget about my birthday...
So this resulted me having sad moments, feeling low, having a low self esteem and wondering if people really care for me.
But today, in the office lift, I had this fabulous realization. How does it matter to anybody if it is my birthday today. How does it change their life? If something's changing, its my age. And why should they bother about it? Huh!
Trust me, this gave me a lot of peace. But my talkative mind immediately popped another question. Should people not remember your birthday, to show that they care for you! Yeah.. right.. these people are "my family", including my Friends. They are the ones who will stand by me during the tough times.
It should matter to me if they don't remember my birthday. Not my colleagues. For them, I am only a colleague, an acquaintance. I should rejoice if they are able to remember my b'day, but should not bother if they don't. End of the day, its purely business!
I think this is called as growing up! Hmmm! Interesting....

2 comments:

cheekymonk said...

Its been years since I never cared about someone remembering my birthday or not. What good can 800/- gift stand for? What does a phone call on the mid-night stand for? - Care & Love?? What good are they if they are just given and said for the sake of it?

May be there is more to caring about each other than remembering tiny little details & information. A simple heart felt Hi can do miracles and might stand for more.

How are you doing my friend?

Unknown said...

hahaha, Well sounds petty indeed, we all can be sometimes.

Reminded me of Jana Sir back in college...

"Whats the big deal ? Its just that people turn a year older" - this is what he had to say, when we went to wish him on his bday